The Anatomy of Our Mobile Workstation
Cody and I have been to no less than 50 cafes, libraries, and coworking spaces across the States. Today we work from Palo Alto’s Downtown Library. While the scenery changes, one thing remain the same—the content of our mobile workstation. These are the things that we can’t work without.
We try to keep it lean; seem to help when we’re constantly on the run and try out new workspaces.
The general guidelines for the items that qualify to be in the bag are simple:
- Should all fit inside our bag.
Cody owns a medium size messenger bag custom made from Infinity Firenze. (Real nice.)
I carry the City Backpack by Incase. (Pretty cool, but not as cool.)
- Aside from the laptop, the item should not require its own power supply. (One less outlet to look for. On another note, I’d always bring an outlet hub, but I’d try not to use it if I don’t have to)
- Only the most essential items stay—the item would be used at least 80% of the time we work.
We all have to fit in many shoes, but most prominently, Cody’s the CTO and focuses on mobile development, which means he can carry out the entire operation solely with his laptop. But to be wired-in is a whole nother story. His stash:
- Apple 2013 Retina Macbook Pro with custom wallpaper using our DIY kit
- iPhone 6
- Bang & Olufsen H6 Natural Leather Headphones
- WHA’s first prototype pocket notebook in white (Not for sale)
- Gold Lacquered Brass Fisher Space Bullet Pen
- Few cables and extra notebooks.
Aside of setting direction for the brand, my main job’s to come up with content and make things pretty. A piece of machinery that can run Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and 15 tabs simultaneously is just a start, I require a few extra tools to do my job well:
- Apple 2009 (still running strong) Macbook Pro
With my own upgrades of two internal SSDs and max’d ram
Here I’m rocking the WHA x Melly Lee collab wallpaper
- Western Digital 2GB passport drive
- Apple Earpods—keeping things simple (I love music, but I’m lenient on quality)
- WHA x Scout Books Pocket Notebook in Black
- Logitech M510 wireless mouse
- Notepad that also serves as a mousepad
- iPhone 5s with Maxboost battery case (not shown here, I left it in my pocket)
- Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk I (silver), which I used to take 80% of the photos on this blog including the shot above
- A bunch of different pen, pencils (one you see here is just a basic Bic)
I’m a gear junky, but I’ve been training hard not to get too distracted with the stuff I
want need. If time permits, I’d like to review more thoroughly with the items we own. Stay tuned.
Today’s office—Palo Alto Downtown Library
While I”m at it, here’s a quick glance at today’s office.
Fast wifi, plenty outlets, quiet, and lots of resources. It’s been a workspace Cody and I frequent when most other cafes are crowded.
WHA by Work Hard Anywhere mobile app coming soon. Sign up here to be the first to know when we launch.
Bike parking, check.
Show us your workstation on Twitter or Instagram by #workhardanywhere.